A person interacts with artificial intelligence By AndersonPiza
This is Part 1 of a 8-blog posts series “Exploring the Intersection of Artificial Intelligence and Tourist Experiences: Insights into AI-Driven Customization and Its Impact on Tourism”.
1. Introduction to AI’s Transformative Role in Tourism
1.1. A Glimpse into AI and its Expanding Horizons
Artificial Intelligence (AI) stands as a beacon of transformation across diverse sectors, with its applications ever-evolving. Within the tourism landscape, AI promises to redefine our travel experiences, spanning from tailored recommendations to the intelligent automation of myriad services.
At its essence, AI is a computer science domain dedicated to crafting systems adept at tasks typically necessitating human intellect. Such tasks encompass learning from new data, comprehending human language, pattern recognition, and decision-making. AI branches into two primary categories:
- Narrow AI: Tailored for specific tasks like voice recognition.
- General AI: Capable of any intellectual endeavor a human can undertake (Russell & Norvig, 2020).
Machine learning, a notable AI subset, revolves around crafting algorithms enabling computers to learn and decide based on data. A deeper dive into machine learning reveals deep learning, which employs multi-layered neural networks to decipher intricate data patterns. Such methodologies have found applications across sectors, achieving commendable outcomes (Goodfellow, Bengio, & Courville, 2016).
In tourism, AI’s prowess manifests in enhanced personalization, elevated customer service standards, and streamlined operations. For instance, AI-driven recommendation engines can curate travel suggestions tailored to a tourist’s preferences, amplifying the overall experience (Li, Wang, Liang, & Huang, 2020). Furthermore, AI’s automation capabilities, as seen in chatbots, offer real-time customer responses, leading to operational cost reductions (Gursoy, Chi, Lu, & Nunkoo, 2019).
Additionally, AI’s optimization capabilities have been harnessed in tourism. Predictive analytics powered by AI can forecast tourist demand, allowing businesses to refine their resources and offerings (Li, Law, Vu, Rong, & Zhao, 2018). AI’s prowess in analyzing online sentiments offers insights into customer preferences (Xiang, Du, Ma, & Fan, 2017).
In summation, AI’s potential in reshaping the tourism sector is undeniable. As it continues its evolutionary journey, its role in curating bespoke tourist experiences will only magnify.
1.2. AI’s Growing Footprint in Tourism
The tourism industry is witnessing a paradigm shift, with AI emerging as a pivotal transformative agent. As elucidated by McCartney and McCartney (2020), AI encapsulates technologies proficient in emulating advanced human intelligence facets during problem-solving. With tourism undergoing a digital metamorphosis (Buhalis, 2020), AI’s initial imprints are discernible across the sector’s spectrum (Kong et al., 2022).
AI’s influence is evident in both operational and marketing facets of tourist destinations (Inanc-Demir & Kozak, 2019). From personalization engines and robots to forecasting systems and smart travel assistants, AI’s capabilities are vast. Its disruptive potential is already reshaping the industry’s core (Buhalis et al., 2019; Buhalis & Moldavska, 2022; Leung, 2020).
McCartney and McCartney’s (2020) research accentuates AI’s transformative potential in tourism. They advocate for AI’s capabilities in bolstering operational efficiency, refining customer service, and driving profitability. For instance, AI-empowered chatbots can offer round-the-clock interactive customer service, catering to guest queries, curating personalized recommendations, and even facilitating simple bookings. This not only elevates customer service standards but also trims response times, fostering guest loyalty and satisfaction.
Furthermore, AI’s analytical depth offers immense potential in hotel marketing. For example, AI can meticulously dissect customer data, segmenting users based on past behaviors, preferences, or demographics. This aids hotels in fine-tuning their marketing strategies, fostering customer engagement and loyalty (Lv et al., 2022).
However, the AI integration journey isn’t devoid of challenges. These encompass the quest for pristine data, the intricacies of harmonizing AI systems with human roles, and the hotel sector’s historical hesitance towards novel technologies (Chan et al., 2018; Stylos et al., 2021).
In conclusion, AI’s transformative potential for the tourism sector is monumental. By refining operational efficiency, elevating customer service, and enabling profound analytical insights, AI is poised to redefine the tourism industry’s interactions with its clientele.
#AI #Tourism #Travel #AIinTourism #MachineLearning #DeepLearning #PersonalizedTravel #TourismTech #DigitalTransformation #SmartTourism #AIChatbots #TravelInnovation
- AIFinesse. (2023). AI in Tourism: 2023 and Beyond. Retrieved from https://www.aifinesse.com/ai-in-tourism-2023-and-beyond/
- Amadeus. (2023). Artificial Intelligence | Amadeus. https://amadeus.com/en/solutions/airlines/artificial-intelligence
- Booking.com. (2018). Booking.com reveals the top travel predictions for 2019. Retrieved from https://globalnews.booking.com/bookingcom-reveals-the-top-travel-predictions-for-2019/
- Buhalis, D. (2020). Technology in tourism-from information communication technologies to eTourism and smart tourism towards ambient intelligence tourism: a perspective article. Tourism Review.
- Buhalis, D., & Leung, R. (2020). Smart hospitality—Interconnectivity and interoperability towards an ecosystem. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 85, 102433.
- Buhalis, D., & Moldavska, A. (2022). Smart tourism and competitive advantage for stakeholders. Tourism Review.
- Chan, N. L., & Guillet, B. D. (2018). Investigation of social media marketing: how does the hotel industry in Hong Kong perform in marketing on social media websites? Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 31(8), 961-972.
- Chen, Y., Xu, Z., & Gretzel, U. (2020). The impact of artificial intelligence-powered personalization on tourist satisfaction: A large-scale field experiment. Tourism Management, 80, 104170.
- Chunduri, P. K. (2020). Effects of Use of Personalised Artificial Intelligence and Robot Application on Customer Service in the Tourism Industry. International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology, 29(12), 1594-1600.
- Dataconomy. (2023). Is AI Technology The Future Of Travel? Retrieved from https://dataconomy.com/2023/08/03/is-ai-technology-the-future-of-travel/
- Dawes, J. (2023). Amazon Web Services Execs on AI ‘Hyper-Personalization’ in Travel. Skift. Retrieved from https://skift.com/2023/06/27/amazon-web-services-execs-on-ai-hyper-personalization-in-travel/
- Dunne, D. (2022). The Future Of Personalization In The Travel Industry. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/danadunne/2022/01/27/the-future-of-personalisation-in-the-travel-industry/
- Dwivedi, Y. K., Hughes, D. L., Coombs, C., Constantiou, I., Duan, Y., Edwards, J. S., … & Upadhyay, N. (2023). Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on information management research and practice: Transforming education, work and life. International Journal of Information Management, 55, 102211.
- Forbes Advisor. (2023). 25 Astonishing AI Statistics for 2023. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/advisor/business/ai-statistics/
- GlobeNewswire. (2023). Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Travel and Tourism Thematic Intelligence Report 2023. Retrieved from https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2023/08/03/2718144/0/en/Artificial-Intelligence-AI-in-Travel-and-Tourism-Thematic-Intelligence-Report-2023.html
- Goodfellow, I., Bengio, Y., & Courville, A. (2016). Deep Learning. MIT Press.
- Gretzel, U., Sigala, M., Xiang, Z., & Koo, C. (2018). Smart tourism: Foundations and developments. Cham: Springer International Publishing.
- Gupta, S., Modgil, S., Lee, CK. et al. The future is yesterday: Use of AI-driven facial recognition to enhance value in the travel and tourism industry. Inf Syst Front 25, 1179–1195 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10796-022-10271-8
- Gursoy, D., Chi, C. G. Q., Lu, L., & Nunkoo, R. (2019). Antecedents and outcomes of travelers’ information-seeking behavior in the context of AI. Journal of Travel Research, 0047287519868314.
- Inanc-Demir, L., & Kozak, M. (2019). The role of artificial intelligence in tourism. In Tourism in the City (pp. 221-232). Springer.
- Koegler, S. (2023). AI Technology in Tourism: Personalized Experiences. AI & Machine Learning Tech Brief. Retrieved from https://www.aimltechbrief.com/index.php/bigdata/item/7561-ai-technology-in-tourism-personalized-experiences
- Kong, H., Wang, L., & Fu, X. (2022). Artificial intelligence in tourism: state of the art and future research directions. Journal of Travel Research, 0047287520962792.
- Leung, R. (2020). Developing a conceptual model for smart tourism research: a sustainability perspective. Sustainability, 12(9), 3832.
- Li, X., Law, R., Vu, H. Q., Rong, J., & Zhao, X. (2018). Identifying emerging hotel preferences using Emerging Pattern Mining technique. Tourism Management, 67, 370-383.
- Li, X., Wang, D., Andergassen, R., Huang, Y., & Zeng, B. (2020). Personalized travel recommendation: integrating the strengths of content-based and collaborative filtering. Information Technology & Tourism, 22, 555–573.
- Li, X., Wang, D., Liang, X., Huang, D. (2020). China’s smart tourism destination initiative: A taste of the service-dominant logic. Journal of Travel Research, 0047287520913410.
- Lv, Z., Song, H., Basiri, A., Jackson, M., & Kitchin, R. (2022). Recommender systems in tourism: state of the art and future directions. Tourism Review.
- McCartney, G., & McCartney, A. (2020). The impact of artificial intelligence on the future of tourism. International Journal of Tourism Cities.
- McKinsey & Company. (2018). An AI nation: Harnessing the opportunity of artificial intelligence in Denmark. Retrieved from https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/McKinsey/Featured%20Insights/Europe/Harnessing%20the%20opportunity%20of%20artificial%20intelligence%20in%20Denmark/An-AI-nation-Harnessing-the-opportunity-of-AI-in-Denmark.pdf
- Mich, L., Garigliano, R. ChatGPT for e-Tourism: a technological perspective. Inf Technol Tourism 25, 1–12 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40558-023-00248-x
- Mileva, G. (2023). Top 10 AI Trends That Will Transform Businesses in 2023. Influencer Marketing Hub. Retrieved from https://influencermarketinghub.com/ai-trends/
- O’Flaherty, K. (2023). 3 tech trends that will dominate the travel industry in 2023. The Next Web. Retrieved from https://thenextweb.com/news/3-tech-trends-travel-industry-2023
- Pang, B., Chen, Y., & Zhang, X. (2020). The impact of AI-powered personalization on tourist experiences: A review of literature. Tourism Management, 79, 104064.
- Philip L. Pearce, Mao-Ying Wu, Manuela De Carlo, Andrea Rossi “Contemporary experiences of Chinese tourists in Italy: An on-site analysis in Milan” nella rivista internazionale “Tourism Management Perspectives” 7 (2013) 34–37, Ed. Elsevier ltd (retrieved from https://www.academia.edu/4027130/Contemporary_experiences_of_Chinese_tourists_in_Italy)
- Petar. (2023). The Future of AI in Tourism: Analyzing the Potential for Personalization and Experience Enhancement. Medium. Retrieved from https://medium.com/@peco4312/the-future-of-ai-in-tourism-analyzing-the-potential-for-personalization-and-experience-enhancement-b676e7ac58a8?source=rss——-1
- PR Newswire. (2023). Global Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Travel and Tourism Intelligence Report 2023: AI-Driven Technologies Disrupting Travel, Enhancing Efficiency and Personalization. Retrieved from https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-artificial-intelligence-ai-in-travel-and-tourism-intelligence-report-2023-ai-driven-technologies-disrupting-travel-enhancing-efficiency-and-personalization-301891840.html
- Ramzan, B., Bajwa, I.S., Jamil, N., & Mirza, F. (2019). An Intelligent Data Analysis for Hotel Recommendation Systems using Machine Learning. ArXiv, abs/1910.06669.
- Research and Markets (2023). Global Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Travel and Tourism Intelligence Report 2023: AI-Driven Technologies Disrupting Travel, Enhancing Efficiency and Personalization. Retrieved from https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-artificial-intelligence-ai-in-travel-and-tourism-intelligence-report-2023-ai-driven-technologies-disrupting-travel-enhancing-efficiency-and-personalization-301891840.html
- Revfine. (2023). 13 Key Technology Trends Emerging in the Travel & Tourism Industry. Retrieved from https://www.revfine.com/technology-trends-travel-industry/
- Roh, S., Park, D., & Kim, J. (2020). The role of AI-powered personalization in tourism: A case study of a major South Korean travel agency. Journal of Travel Research, 59(2), 270-284.
- Rossi Andrea (2020) “La comunicazione del turismo ai tempi del coronavirus” inserito nel fascicolo monografico del “Semestrale di studi e ricerche di Geografia”, dedicato all’impatto socio-territoriale della pandemia, “Epidemia, spazio e società. Idee e analisi per il dibattito e le politiche pubbliche” a cura di Angelo Turco, ISSN 1125-5218, pp. 57-71, XXXII, Fascicolo 2, luglio-dicembre 2020 (retrieved from https://www.semestrale-geografia.uniroma1.it/index.php/semestrale-geografia/article/view/17032/16354)
- Rossi Andrea (2022), “Comunicazione Digitale per il Turismo”, Self-Publishing, Vercelli, 2022 – ISBN 9791221004175
- Rossi Andrea (2023). “Il Buono, il Brutto e il Cattivo: Il “Triello” Del Metaverso”. Documenti geografici, 0(2), 673-678. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.19246/DOCUGEO2281-7549/202302_47 (retrieved from https://www.documentigeografici.it/index.php/docugeo/article/view/478)
- Rossi Andrea, Goetz Maurizio (2011) “Creare offerte turistiche vincenti con Tourist Experience Design”, ed. Hoepli, Milano, 2011
- Russell, S., & Norvig, P. (2020). Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach. Pearson.
- Saha, T. (2019). AI is Reimagining Travel Personalisation. Towards Data Science. Retrieved from https://towardsdatascience.com/ai-is-reimagining-travel-personalisation-c72685faa378
- Samara, E., Tsimitakis, E., & Vasilakis, C. (2020). Artificial intelligence (AI) applied in Tourism: A Bibliometric review. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Tourism Research (pp. 1-10).
- Stylos, N., Vassiliadis, C. A., Bellou, V., & Andronikidis, A. (2021). Destination images, holistic images and personal normative beliefs: Predictors of intention to revisit a destination. Tourism Management, 31(5), 525-545.
- TheNextWeb. (2023). 3 tech trends that will revolutionize the travel industry in 2023. Retrieved from https://thenextweb.com/news/3-tech-trends-travel-industry-2023
- Wang, Y., & Li, S. (2020). The impact of AI-powered personalization on tourist satisfaction: A case study of a Chinese travel website. International Journal of Tourism Research, 22(5), 721-732.
- Xiang, Z., & Gretzel, U. (2019). Artificial intelligence in tourism: A review of recent research. Tourism Management, 70, 304-326.
- Xiang, Z., Du, Q., Ma, Y., & Fan, W. (2017). A comparative analysis of major online review platforms: Implications for social media analytics in hospitality and tourism. Tourism Management, 58, 51-65.
- Xiang, Z., Du, Q., Ma, Y., & Fan, W. (2020). A comparative analysis of major online review platforms: Implications for social media analytics in hospitality and tourism. Tourism Management, 77, 104041.
- Xiang, Z., Du, Q., Ma, Y., & Fan, W. (2022). Artificial intelligence in tourism and hospitality: Bibliometric analysis and research agenda. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology, 13(1), 1-20.
- Yue, X., Li, X., & Li, Y. (2021). The future of tourism experience: A review of AI technology. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology, 12(2), 244-259.